Sunday 17 March 2019

28mm medieval crossbowmen for Lion Rampant

While I'm still busy desperately hacking away at my 6mm Greek lead pile, I thought I would fill in by putting up a few pics of my Fireforge 28mm plastic crossbowmen for Lion Rampant.  The actual unit was finished a few months ago but I never took the time to put the pics up on the blog.

Detail is very good on these multipose figures and the poses are quite dynamic. I always prefer metal figures to plastic ones but Fireforge make such good quality figures that I'm more than happy to make an exception. I reasoned this rank and file unit would not have been too colourful so I went for a drab brown leather look overall with the distinguishing unit colour showing underneath.







6 comments:

  1. Great work! The red and yellow combination is a handsome one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I found the bright yellow to be quite tricky as the pigment is not particularly strong both with Vallejo and Foundry paints. However in the end I managed to get decent results using desert yellow underlay and multiple coats of bright yellow.

      Delete
  2. Those Fireforge are superb, crisp detail and dynamic movement and your work on them is just spot on. Definitely worth the effort of assembly. How have you found moving between 6mm and 28mm when it comes to painting sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Norm. I agree Fireforge make lovely figures and - yes - assembly is a pain which is ultimately atoned for. As you surely know, painting different figure scales necessitates entirely different techniques. When switching to 28mm I usually struggle to get back into the groove with the first couple of figures but then things usually settle down and I ‘regain’ the flow in my painting techniques. However I do not seem to have any such difficulty when moving inversely to 6mm, maybe because the techniques here are much less demanding. Unlike 28mm I adopt an ‘assembly line’ method for 6mm whereas with the larger scale I prefer to paint figures indvidually from start to finish.

      Delete
  3. I think the figures came out looking good. You’re on your way towards having a force for LR. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew. I know I’m severly lagging behind most gamers but I still haven’t played the rules yet. It’s on this years agenda.

      Delete