Tuesday 14 April 2020

Another week, another knight

I've taken a liking to these mounted Men at Arms. Admittedly, I'm not churning them out at anything more than a snail's pace but I guess the reason is there for all to see. As usual, the figure is from Front Rank's excellent Hundred Years War 28mm range.  The pictures have been taken with a low exposure setting on purpose as the caparison detailing seemed to come out better this way, so I apologise if certain other parts of the figure are a bit darker than would normally be expected.













I have to say I really enjoyed painting this figure but painting the rampant lions on the right (dexter) side of the figure was a pain in the beginning as they are essentially mirror images of the ones on the left which were the first ones to be painted.  Once I got the hang of it, it was fine though.

I am cross posting this one on the The Analogue Hobbies Quarantine Challenge.

Hope you like it and take care y'all.

18 comments:

  1. You continue to outdo yourself, Mike! Gorgeous work. Even as I look closely, I am not sure I believe my eyes. Impossible, I think! A masterpiece, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masterpiece? You’re too kind Jonathan. Much better works out there. Even as I look at the pics I realise the lower part of the lance is smudged is places and needs adjusting.......(sigh!)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I was gonna mention that but I didn’t want to be rude...but now that we’re talking about glaring mistakes, one of the stripes on the lance is also a half a millimeter too wide compared to the others...

      Delete
    3. Thanks for pointing that out Stew. Now where did I leave that micrometer...? :)

      Delete
    4. Lance stripes look perfect to me!

      Delete
    5. If you look at the fourth pic, the dividing lines of the second and third stripes are a bit smudged at the bottom. Won't take much to fix. Most probably they're not too visible to the naked eye but digital photography is merciless.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous knight, most impressive details...Outstanding work Mike!😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Phil. I really enjoyed painting this one. Highlighting black is a bit of a bitch though......

      Delete
  3. Beautiful brushwork Mike, really lovely addition to the collection.

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Matt. I keep saying to myself I will use these figures for Lion Rampant and such but realistically I wouldn't want to risk damaging them on the table.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Super impressive and gorgeous. Really well done! Can’t say enough. πŸ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stew. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.....:)

      Delete
  5. Simply stunning, Mike! Your artistry is unsurpassed and the heraldry a fine canvas. BTW, I do like that klappvisor bascinet too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Unsurpassed” puts a heavy weight on my shoulders Dean - thank you very much for your kind words. One of the reasons I love FR is because they make a wide variety of armour types, especially headgear. Apart from being lovely sculpts, that is!

      Delete