Tuesday 26 January 2021

Federico di Montefeltro, Duke of Urbino and his merry men

 Although it's been some time since I last posted I was still busy at my painting (and modelling) desk. One of the projects I completed recently is a six man MAA unit of Italian knights, specifically Federico di Montefeltro, Duke of Urbino between 1474 and 1482 together with a handful of his closest and most loyal knights. Being late fifteenth century MAA's, they are mostly clad in full plate with Italian and German armour styles for both mount and rider. The Duke's livery is especially intricate and was a challenge to paint but it is such challenges that I relish. I also tried my hand at a piebald horse and am particularly pleased at how it came out, never having done one before.

Figures are 28mm Perry multipose plastics and are exquisitely cast although my usual gripe of having to construct multipose figures still stands. Also, I noticed that they are built smaller than Front Rank 28mm MAA's but on the table the difference shouldn't stand out too much.

The Duke  and friends 
Top-down view

The big cheese himself


 
 
 
 




14 comments:

  1. Mike, these are absolutely beautiful. Very much admire the lances and the red / white coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Norm. I feel the lance spiral patterns make a huge difference to a figure but apparently they were not commonly used in battle.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, Mike! Your livery work is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! That’s the part I enjoy doing most. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Wow, gorgeous colors and most impressive knights!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is some superb painting there. Very nice job and such a treat. 😀
    I would tell you that you also did a great job on the piebald horse, but I don’t know what that is...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful painting, Mike! The heraldry and lance spirals most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dean. I thouroughly enjoyed painting them too!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous men at arms! Love the spirals on the lances, but it's all lovely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Iain! Glad you liked them.

      Delete