Monday 21 January 2019

28mm Medieval Mounted Sergeants

Medievals have always held a special interest for me but somehow always played second fiddle to Napoleonics.  In my youth I used to play WRG with a regular opponent but through the years we lost touch with each other and my Hinchliffe figures ended up forgotten in their box deep down in the dungeons.  

Last year, however, I resolved to revive the period and got a hold of Lion Rampant (LR) medieval skirmish rules.  Not willing to repaint and rebase my old miniatures (they were admittedly primitive anyway), I ordered 28mm miniatures from Front Rank (metals) and Fireforge (plastics), both manufacturers having excellently detailed figures. However, being a sucker for detail, I was unable to give them the 'production line' treatment and ended up painting each figure individually meaning that it took ages to build up a decent amount of figures.  Now that I have enough to field a number of units, I think that in the end it was worth taking the extra time and effort.   

 As an opener, I am presenting a LR unit of six mounted sergeants from Fireforge.  They come in multipose form of which I am not too keen as I honestly consider the construction phase a bit of a pain in the neck. However, I have to admit that the end result is a pleasant collection of varied figures which is not always possible to obtain with non-multipose figures. I am attaching some pictures of this fictional unit for LR.








8 comments:

  1. Lovely precision painting, Nice figures, with both horse and rider having a lovely level of animation / movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! Yes, Fireforge figures are beautifully sculpted and animated and are an absolute joy to paint.

      Delete
  2. This is gorgeous work, Mike! The figures jump from the page and the blue gives these figures some "pop!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jonathan! I use Vallejo acrylics and find their blues are very strong in pigmentation which in my opinion makes them relatively easy to work with.

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures, Mike. Your attention to detail really made them uniquely individual. Perfect for Lion Rampant skirmish games. I like that unit sizes are 6 or 12 figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Dean. We still need to find some time to dedicate to LR but the plan is to have a few games this year. Hopefully I’ll be posting a Lion Rampant AAR or two soon.

      Delete
  4. LR is a fine rule set for some easy gaming. I enjoyed several games myself. Lovely painting on the figures. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks Stew! A few easy gaming sessions would always be welcome 😁

    ReplyDelete