Wednesday 11 March 2020

Airfix DAK Pzkpfw IVF2 diorama in 1:72 scale

I am by no means a WW2 armour expert, having only a slightly above-average knowledge of the weapons used in that conflict but my favourite AFV by far is the German Panzer IV. I don't know why but I find the lines of that tank captivating. So it came as no surprise that once I was in modelling mode, I got the urge to dig deep in my war chest and fish out an old Airfix 1:72 scale specimen bought on ebay that had been lying there for years. Having added on extra equipment from Czech company Black Dog, I also decided to try out some weathering and rusting techniques (using very easy-to-apply AK Pigments) on the model and fit it into a diorama base to enhance appearance.  I discovered a great Dutch company called Diodump (www.diodump.com) who supply ready made high quality diorama bases. Great service too. Thoroughly recommended!! Found a set of detailed (but expensive) Nikolai resin 20mm Arab civilian figures and got a box of excellent German multipose tank personnel from Preiser and voila'! - a Deutsche Afrika Korps Panzerkampfwagen IV F2 rolling into a North African village looking something like this:







I tried to go for that dry dusty look normally associated with desert terrain, giving particular attention to lay heavy dust on the tank's tracks, wheels, and rollers as well as on the civilians (particularly their lower limbs) and on the building's surfaces.  I yellowed the tips of the palm leaves to give them that partly-wilted, thirsty look (a sight we are very much accustomed to in my native Malta). I particularly enjoyed painting in the tiles in alternating colours on the building rooftop giving that distinct Arab look. Thanks for visiting!

14 comments:

  1. Mike, for some reason, only one of your photos is showing (next to last). Maybe the failure is on my end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. I really don’t know what to say. All seems fine at my end - maybe someone else can confirm what’s showing and what isn’t?

      Delete
  2. I am only seeing the second to last photo - but it does look splendid :-) the guy leaning on the wall is a really good touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you are not alone, this blogger has just posted and has the same issue as you.

    LINK
    http://musingswargameslife.blogspot.com/2020/03/lost-in-woods.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know how I can fix this gents. Any ideas would be welcome.

      It shows up fine on all my devices. Strange.

      Delete
  4. I've deleted all the pics of my original post and re-uploaded them. Can anyone kindly inform me if they are showing now please? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can now see all of your photos! Outstanding modeling!

      Delete
  5. Superb work! I wish my stuff could be this good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Fantastic diorama - everything is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean. Well I wouldn’t say all is perfect but I certainly gave it my best shot!

      Delete
  7. The photo thing happened to me a well. I see yours now. Very stunning! Great job.
    And I love that you refer to the lead pile as the war chest. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Stew. Never figured out what happened with those photos but I’m glad I managed to sort it somehow.

      Delete