Wednesday 22 April 2020

Italian / Peninsular BUA's in 6mm

I decided to give my poor eyes a rest this week and opted for two North Italy / Peninsular built up areas for my 6mm Napoleonics. Buildings are from Total Battle Miniatures and Timecast, both excellent but my preference goes to TBM. Trees are from some Chinese manufacturer on ebay, walls have been in my storage dump for ages and the piazza cross monument is scratch built from a couple of washers and stuff. I use Hexon terrain so the BUA's are mounted on hex bases for use with Age of Eagles.  No troop models are actually placed inside the BUA's, only counters to indicate the number of stands occupying them.  I pack the buildings close together to give the impression of those winding narrow streets and huddled buildings so common in the med.

This post has been cross-posted to the Analogue Hobbies Quarantine Challenge blog.

Cheers and take care!

Village A

Town square closeup. Note bougainvillea creeping up church facade.

Village B

Joining both BUA's gives a small town

Both villages in the foreground with the rest of my Italian/Peninsular BUA's

Your typical alpine terrain. Hear the boys yodel?


12 comments:

  1. Those look great Mike. I have been sorely tempted by the Kallistra terrain tiles precisely because as you have demonstrated here, you can create different terrain hexes that blend in. That and ease of storage. It is only because I have invested so much time in my own terrain system that has prevented me making the switch. Placing the buildings close together is a good move. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, you have some of the most astounding terrain I have ever seen on a table. Your AAR’s are a joy to read and also to watch. I certainly wouldn’t switch to any other terrain if I had yours!

      Delete
  2. Your villages look super, Mike! I like the basing on hexes too. Very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! I prefer hex terrain in that it gives more clearcut solutions to questions such as LOS, crestlines, and clearly delineates boundaries of woods, BUA’s, rough ground and the like. These are all potential dispute areas and they all disappear by using hex terrain. That said, my preferred Nap ruleset Age of Eagles is not hex based and all movement is ‘traditionally’ linear, ignoring the hex grain.

      Delete
  3. Mike, the Kallistra 4” hex and the 6mm buildings are a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t agree more Norm. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I can hear the boys yodel, so atmospheric and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you say you’re giving your eyes a break by painting 6mm? That’s funny. 😀
    The villages look super Mike. Really eye catching. Though I don’t see how figures are going to occupy the same hex unless they sit on top? Still, will be an awesome game to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Painting 6mm buildings ain’t so bad on the eyes - minis are something else though. I don’t put defenders physically inside (or on top of) my BUA’s; I just put a counter showing how many troop stands occupy the BUA and change it once casualties accumulate. For Age of Eagles this works particularly well. Thanks Stew!

      Delete
  6. A very handsome BUA, Mike. I suppose it was little easier on your eyes than painting complex and beautiful heraldry, but still very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Dean! Yes it was a much easier week for the eyes 😃

      Delete