Wednesday 11 August 2021

Panzer 1 Ausf A in 1:35 scale finito!

 It's been some time since I last posted - a mixture of other priorities, working at my desk, carrying out loads of home maintenance and sheer downright disinterested laziness. Maltese summers are punishing - this one particularly so - and drains most of one's energies except to go to the beach or drink ice cold beer when it gets a bit cooler in the evening. The Euro Cup and Olympics didn't help either!

But enough excuses. The reason I am writing again is that finally - and I stress the word finally - I have managed to finish my Hobby Boss 1:35 scale Panzer 1 Ausf A.  It's been four months in the making (shame on me!) but here it is at last.

I opted for the German Grey version - the 'Negrillo'

The hatches were left open so that at least some of the interior remained visible

The driver's hatch allows a decent interior view

I tried to give a heavily used look to the tank

Starboard wheel assembly showing accumulated dust and grime

Port view. All dust weathering was done with AK pigments

The hull was weathered with a combination of oil washes and AK pigments

Tamiya panel liner and ink washes brought out the open hatch details

Top down view showing commander's position

View through the driver's hatch

I must say it was a shame to lose a lot of the interior detail but unfortunately that's how it is with AFV's. The engine cover although not cemented is firmly kept in place by the exhaust pipes and rear viewing port and if removed it can easily scratch or break some parts. So again, all the engine detail is lost from viewing -  thank goodness I took loads of pics before sealing it in!  Still haven't decided if I should put the model on a base. Probably I will but I just want to get it out of my hair now and start something else straight away while the mojo's back.

Hope it won't be another five months to the next post!!!

10 comments:

  1. It has been a VERY LONG time, Mike! Great to see you back and an outstanding model. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! Yes, it’s been too long........

      Delete
  2. And very nice it looks too Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, a lovely job, stunning yet subtle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thank Norm. Still getting the hang of pigments and washes but they really do transform the way a model looks.

      Delete
  4. Awesome looking panzer! Gorgeous finish!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks a lot Iain! Hope to have my next project up soon :-)

      Delete
  5. A realistic and super model, inside and outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a real lot Phil! Very glad you liked it. Working on a Pz38(t) at the moment and hope to have it done soon.

      Delete