Friday 8 October 2021

28mm HYW Front Rank MAA

The recent visit to Innsbruck and the armour displays there have inspired me to pay a quick visit to my medieval war chest where I have a number of Perry and Front Rank miniatures still awaiting the Brush treatment.  The choice fell on a 28mm charging mounted Man at Arms from Front Rank, which was an easy choice really as these minis are always a joy to paint with their beautiful animation and flowing lines. The ample horse caparison also allows for the intricate heraldry we all love so much and after tons of deliberating the choice fell on a quartered design with a central shield bearing a continental type of chevron. Anyway, here it is. Apologies as some of the pics don't have optimal exposure but I hope you can appreciate it nonetheless.







21 comments:

  1. Gosh! This is a GORGEOUS piece, Mike. Unbelievable painting quality, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind Jonathan. I admit I attempted an ermine pattern but it was too much for me so I switched to the red weave. Some patterns are too intricate to reproduce at this scale.

      Delete
  2. Wow, wow, wow, Mike! Absolutely stunning. At first, I thought it had to be 54mm or larger. Amazing heraldry work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Dean! I’ve been thinking of a 54mm figure lately tbh but the amount of detail on those figures can be so horrendous that I balk at the prospect!

      Delete
  3. Mike - simply beautiful. I know you will have spent many hours committed to this, what a wonderful and skilled result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Norm! I won’t deny having spent a long time on the figure - the lion’s share obviously on the caparison. But a lot of time also goes into the early construction phase - trying to come up with a coherent heraldic pattern and deciding on the tinctures to use. I should mention here that this mini does not represent a historical figure but is fictitious. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! That is a beautifully painted figure. Very well done Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! I’ll be off to the optician’s now.........😄

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and for visiting Sir!

      Delete
  6. I’m always suspicious of people who use the phrase ‘joy to paint.’ 😀
    But that is a tremendously good paint job. Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Stew. Seems I have to be more careful with my choice of words in future!

      Delete
  7. Totally stunning work! Gorgeous!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thank you so much Iain! So glad you liked it.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, your eyesight is obviously good. Marvellous
    skill to action this level of work.

    Regards Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peter. Yes, there’s still some eyesight left although sometimes it seems I’m scraping the bottom, haha. Many thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  9. Thank you very much Rajani, glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, first class work, love the heraldy...Superb!!

    ReplyDelete