Friday 23 June 2023

Two more 54mm figures and other stuff

As has become amply clear from recent posts, my main activity for the last few months has been modelling as opposed to painting and gaming with minis.  I have rediscovered a passion and fascination that had lain dormant over the years but which suddenly returned with a vengeance mostly thanks to the long months of pandemic isolation.  That's not to say I'm not doing any gaming at the moment but it's solely down to board games with the lads of the gaming group. We are currently running the epic Axis and Allies Global War 1939 - a multi player and veritable behemoth of a game which hardly sits comfortably on a table tennis table and which requires multiple sessions to complete. Clearly it has to be left set up and kudos to Dan for his passion and dedicated wargames room as well as to his gentle wife Yuliia for allowing six unruly man-children into her home every Tuesday.

Board gaming on an epic scale - Axis & Allies Global War 1939

On the modelling scene, I have recently completed two new 54mm Napoleonic figures - a French foot artillery officer and a French line infantryman, both from Pegaso Miniatures.  Bases are from Il Basetta, an italian artisan supplying custom made wooden plinths specifically for miniatures.  The figures are painted mostly in Vallejo acrylics with exception of the metallics for which I use AK True Metal paints.  The mud spattering on the line infantryman was done in oils.

 

 



 
 

Finally, on the domestic front, last Saturday was a very happy day for the family as the son got married. Below is  a picture of the happy occasion, with - from left - my 91 year old mum, my daughter Claire and her partner Vik, the happy groom Steve and his new wife Justine, and yours truly with missus on the right.



 
 

10 comments:

  1. Stunning brushwork and beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful figures. Boardgames seem to be enjoying a healthy revival over the last few years. A great occasion for the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm! For me at least, boardgames have certainly bounced back and personally I put the reason down to the pandemic. Once our clubhouse was locked down we lost our gaming rhythm and it was very hard to recover it once things slowly returned to the previous normal. For me and most of the group, boardgaming has become the new normal and I predict it will be some time before we return to gaming with minis.

      Delete
  3. Oh man. I love epic board games. I used to play Axis And Allies over an entire weekend back in the day. One day I hope too again.
    The miniatures look fabulous. Can be awesome display pieces.
    You and your family look great all dressed up. 😀
    Congrats father of the groom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stew! Thank you so much! A&A can be terribly absorbing, I agree. It may seem a simple game at face value but it is really challenging and requires a lot of thought. This one is a variant of the original game and includes additional pieces and concepts, all making for a great game.
      And thanks for the fashion compliments but give me a t-shirt and shorts any time!

      Delete
  4. Lovely family photo, you all brush up well! Your 54mm figures are ace, obviously I'm still painting French Napoleonic line infantry but I'm also working on some artillery so good timing for me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Iain! I’m following and loving your latest work. Glad to have been of some help.

      Delete
  5. Wow - so sorry for missing these earlier, Mike. These are beautiful figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dean! Many thanks! I’ve taken a liking to these 54mm figures. They make for a nice display.

      Delete